Positive Behavior Intervention & Support
Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) is a nation-wide, research-based system that encourages a positive learning environment. Consistent expectations are established within a school that are taught and then reinforced through a positive manner.
The Positive Behavior Intervention Support System:
- Effectively teaches appropriate behavior to all students.
- Provides early intervention to support and address students’ needs.
- Monitors student progress to inform interventions.
- Provides a system for regular feedback for both positive and problem behavior.
- Uses data to make decisions.
Hulstrom’s expectations are defined as what student behavior should look like and sound like for all students in all areas of the building. The expectations provide common language and create a school-wide community.